Follow enough health and beauty journals, and you could easily find yourself wondering, “is there anything coconut oil cannot do?” If you want the the full story about this miracle fruit, take a listen to our interview with the foremost expert on coconut, Dr. Bruce Fife of the Coconut Research Center.
But if you’re just looking for the white paper on this beneficial ingredient used from the kitchen to your bath cabinet, we’ve got you covered. Read on. And, spoiler alert: coconut is everything it’s cracked up to be.
Nourishes the Body, Skin & Hair
Coconut oil possesses potent enzymes and nutrients that have been used for centuries to heal and nourish the body, skin, and hair. Here’s what you need to know:
Caprylic – MCT: unlock and burn fat
Lauric acid: makes it antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal
Antioxidant: makes it additionally beneficial against signs of age
Hydrating: emollient and elasticizing properties counter formation of wrinkles and strengthen hair
Skin: soothes & conditions the skin, maintaining softness while nourishing and calming
Sustainable: Cocovít harvests fresh organic coconuts from a eco-reserve in South India
Now for the fun part: 25 ways you can start using coconut oil right now for health and beauty. These are our favorite, delicious, and gorgeous tips with coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut water, and coconut meat.
1. Saute with coconut oil instead of olive oil
2. Roast with coconut oil instead of olive oil…
3. …ESPECIALLY mushrooms. Yum.
4. Melt over popcorn instead of butter
5. Replace butter with coconut oil in baking; they’re both saturated fats that are solid at room temperature
6. Add healthy fat to your smoothies with coconut oil or coconut milk
7. Add electrolytes to your smoothie with coconut water
8. Drink coconut water as a hydrating post-workout beverage (electrolytes and potassium!)
9. Use coconut oil in place of egg whites in chocolate mousse
10. Chill coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight, scoop out the coconut cream on top, then whip for a non-dairy whipped cream
11. Coconut flour makes a great gluten-free and paleo-friendly flour alternative
12. Use coconut milk as a non-dairy alternative to milk in your coffee…
13. …or try the metabolism-boosting coffee craze of putting coconut oil in your coffee (blended, not stirred)
14. No-Bake Macaroons in 6 ingredients: 3 cups coconut flakes, ⅓ cup melted coconut oil, 1 cup cocoa powder, 1 cup maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt to taste; freeze; devour.
15. Make dairy-free chocolate ganache with full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy cream
16. Quick Curry: simmer 1 ½ cups of coconut milk with 2 tablespoons of curry powder and sea salt to taste; serve over rice and vegetables
17. Quick Omega-3 Pudding: 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, ½ cup coconut milk, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, stevia to taste and a pinch of sea salt
18. Spread coconut oil on your toast instead of butter; layer with jam or nut butter
19. Stir coconut oil or coconut milk into your oatmeal
20. Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate. Need I say more?
21. For adventurous spirits, crack into a young Thai coconut and blend the fresh coconut meat with cocoa powder, vanilla, and sea salt for a healthful chocolate pudding
22. Finally learn how to make Thai Coconut Soup. Essential: coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, and chili. Veggies are up to you.
23. Hands-down one of the best savory breakfasts: Poached Eggs with Sauteed Greens and Mushrooms
24. For sweet breakfast lovers, spread over pancakes or waffles with maple syrup
25. Frozen dessert: combine 1 medium-sized baked sweet potato with 1 cup coconut milk; combine in food processor with desired sweetener to taste and freeze.
Stay tuned for the 25 best uses for beauty! Credo Beauty has over 70 products featuring coconut. Check out a few favorites below, or browse a larger list here.