Out and about? Whether traveling by car or plane, our eating routines are often subject to whatever is available at the kiosk or drive-thru. Plan ahead and pack any of the following things to make sure you’re getting good nutrients while en route this year.
Whole wheat wraps – these are easy to roll around anything or rip&dip; bonus points that they don’t leave crumbs!
Avocado – cut in half and sprinkle with salt and lime juice then consume with spoon; or scoop out into your whole wheat wrap.
Nut butter – great dip or spread for crackers, wraps, carrots, apples, etc.
Hummus – ditto the above
Roasted sweet potatoes – rich in fiber, sweet and savory, packed with energy, you can eat right out of the skins or wrap in parchment paper and foil with a pat of butter or coconut oil.
Pack any of the following in your carry-on luggage –
- dried fruit
- raw or roasted nuts
- small servings of cheese, e.g. cheddar, gouda, brie
- dark chocolate
- granola bars
- 3oz bottle of extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemons
And then pick up the remaining at the airport –
- fresh fruit, e.g. apple, pear, banana
- veggie sticks, e.g. carrot and celery sticks, broccoli and cauliflower florets
- pre-made salad
A couple other carry-on essentials:
- large scarf/wrap
- can double as a blanket on cold flights
- grapefruit seed extract
- a powerful immune booster and cold-fighter, you can put 10-15 drops in a glass of orange juice on the plane