Looking for something unique to share with Mom this Mother’s Day? The following recipe from our friends at Cooking Guru is a simple and delicious preparation for brunch.
Easily adapted for vegans w/ tempeh bacon and tofu scramble, it’s a savory one-pot meal you can make in 30 minutes. Watch the video here or check out the images and directions below.
Happy Mother’s Day!
Season 2 / Episode 1: Tuscan Tomato Egg
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
2 slices smoked bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
3-4 medium tomatoes, chopped
4 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded Italian Blend cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil, slivered
Fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until lightly brown (about 3 minutes). Drain off excess oil and add (optional) cooked bacon bits.
- Add chopped tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until they have released their juices, about 4-5 minutes.
- Make 4 wells in the tomato mixture with a spoon and crack an egg into each well. Add a grind or two of fresh pepper. Cover the pan with a glass lid, and simmer until egg whites are firm and yolks are starting to set (about 2 minutes).
- Remove lid, sprinkle with cheese, and cover again to melt.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and scoop onto individual plates. Optional: serve with good quality sliced rustic toast.
- If omitting the bacon, use a couple grinds of sea salt as well as pepper.
- Substitute turkey bacon or meatless bacon bits if desired.
- Replace tomatoes with your favorite salsa.
- Add a few dollops of Pesto (from Season 1 Episode 2).